Monday, August 01, 2016

Meena Kumari - A phenomena


Long live Meena Kumari ji, even though her real name was Mahjabeen, but that doesn't matter for viewers. For us she was Meena Kumari ji. Nothing else matter earlier i had posted few picture of her 

          


Only the word Meena Kumari was enough to remind of what she was. She got first award for Best Actress of Indian cinema. While acting in any film, She was not meena kumari but the character she played. 
Bahu Begum, Parineeta, Sahibjaan, Choti Bahu, etc. All those characters came to life in those films, the actress and characters became synonymous to each other. Unlike few actors who are remembered for their style and not the characters they played. Few actors of past are known for their particular style/ mannerism. 

I don’t remember when for the first time I saw her film. We did not own a TV till 1982. That time I was in class XI. We used to travel for one kilometre just to watch Doordarshan, from Type one to Type two situated near IIT Kanpur gate. In those days, I was lucky enough to watch many of her films on black & white TV. 
One family at Type  I owned a black & white TV. That was out of bound for me most of the time. still I was fortunate enough to watch films while hanging to their window. Most often it was like watching an audio film since a group of boys will be hanging from window all together, thus i had to push in between. 
I became fan of her films. When she used to cry I used to cry with her. When she used to rush in happiness I felt the same. When she felt pain on hearing the cries of that little boy who was being beaten by Lalita Pawar, I also felt pain for that boy. When she felt shy in front of a man –the hero- I felt the same. That was the embodiment of her in me.
But foremost important thing was that I danced with her in all films. The “Thade Rahio Baanke yaar re”  ठाढ़े रहियो ओ बाँके यार रे was my favorite. Initially I used to dance on इन्ही लोगों ने “Inhin logon ne” of Pakeezah, I was considered OUTCASTE in my school (by everybody-classmates /schoolmates /neighbours). To them I was just a toy, a mean of amusement. Even girls also felt the same towards me. As soon as I started learning the first steps of Kathak, I started liking the "Thade Rahio" song. I tried to match each and every beat of the song. I took this as challenge and after few months I started dancing on the song matching each beat. 
As I grew older, the pause-gaps, the nuisances, the moods of those gaps of sound and different stress on beats of tabla, strings of sarangi-all open up more challenges to me. I tried to portray them and grasp each beat with different meanings. 
As Pt Birju Maharaj ji says that this is pure Bhakti, सम is भगवान the SAM is the Lord Krishna and these beats and sur(swaras) are RAHDA/gopis, these all try to search for the Lord-the SAM. 
This Thumri song of film Pakeezah has various meanings and moods which are to be enacted, called as Bhaav Batana. I heard from elders that in past there were ladies who were invited only for singing. They only sang but never danced. Those songs, as my grandmother referred to as TUMAIN. The word in the local slang means the song sung while seated. I heard names of Gunni, or ginni and Nooran often from my grandmother. She categorically told me that they never danced. The dancing girls were different class.
So Thumri is song sung while seated. But through singing the mood is portrayed to audience. Often, while singing those girls enacted few moods of like Radha or Krishna, or bewitching lovelorn mate etc. various moods of Nayika!

I try to follow what Birju Maharaj ji said (he is a like a God to me). I try to match the beats and follow the SAM(first beat of every cycle of taal or music). 
In song Gopika says that lord wait let me have the “proper shringar” (decoration) first so that when you come, I greet in a well attired appearance full with Kaajal in eyes, flowers in VENI and well knotted, and with all of SIXTEEN decorations. 16 Shringaras?
Another aspect is that since Lord Krishna is Naughty & play full. She says Lord please wait don’t come near. (she wish to protect her pot which is full of Butter or curd. fearing that lord will throw stone and pot of milk, butter or curd will be broken.

Despite of being a super star of her times Respected Meena Kumari ji remained loner in the end and I have always been so in the path of my life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.
I’ve read this publish and if I could I want to counsel you
few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you
could write subsequent articles relating to this article. I want to learn more things about it!

It is the best time to make some plans for the long run and it is time to be
happy. I’ve read this post and if I may just I wish to suggest you few fascinating things or tips.

Maybe you could write subsequent articles regarding this article.

I desire to read more issues approximately it!

I like it when people get together and share ideas. Great blog,
stick with it! http://dell.com/

Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a very clear explanation of
the challenges. It was definitely informative. Your website is
very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

It's perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be
happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few
interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article.
I wish to read more things about it!

Anonymous said...

This was it, i was looking for. Thanks a lot for taking
time to publish it on your post. Actually Appreciated.
I will be visiting your blog once again as i simply found you publish such a remarkable stuff here.


Also i figured out a site which is devoted to people who are eager to loose
weight eventually. It's about Keto Body Tone that is getting popular
in the USA, and they are coming to other nations too. Hope you might like to check it out and share your views about Keto Body Tone Diet Product.

Anonymous said...

Hello every one, here every one is sharing these know-how,
therefore it's good to read this weblog, and I used to go
to see this website everyday.